Two Residents Displaced After Fire in Sterling
Sterling, Conn. - At approximately 3:24 pm on Saturday, February 4th, 2023, the Sterling Fire Department, along with mutual aid companies, were dispatched to reports of a basement fire at 19 Grove St.
According to Sterling Fire Department’s Chief Brian Glaude, on arrival, he found smoke showing from the chimney as well as from the side door of a 2-story duplex. Upon firefighters’ entry into the building, an active fire was found in the basement. The fire did extend up to the second floor, but crews were able to quickly knock the fire down in approximately 30 minutes.
Chief Glaude went on to say, the fire occurred in a hydranted portion of the town, so companies had all the water they needed on the scene. He extended his thanks to all mutual aid companies stating, “It takes all of the help we can get for this to work.”
The cold (15° F) provided additional hazards on the scene as water rapidly froze around the apparatus, but did not hinder firefighting operation. Sterling Public Works was requested to sand the area.
One person was transported from the scene due to a non-fire related medical emergency. One firefighter was also evaluated on the scene, following a ground level fall, but refused transport.
The two occupants of the damaged side of the duplex have been displaced and will be receiving assistance from the American Red Cross.
The fire was held to a 1st alarm, with an additional ambulance and FAST Team requested.
At this time, the fire appears to have started in the furnace and extended into the residence. The Sterling Fire Marshal will be investigating the incident further.
Agencies who responded, or were dispatched, included the Sterling Fire Department, Oneco Fire Department, Moosup Fire Department, Atwood Hose Fire Company, Western Coventry Fire Department, South Killingly Fire Department, Danielson Fire Department, Plainfield Fire Department, Moosup Ambulance, Sterling Public Works, and the American Red Cross.